A local newspaper was looking to reach consumers on mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry. Once it became clear that these platforms would become mainstream, it became critical for the business to have a mobile footprint.
- Quality mobile app developers with experience working with Apple were in extremely high demand.
- Initially outsourced the work to a third party software developer who couldn’t find the resources to deliver the project.
- J2 delivered an experienced mobile app developer who worked with Apple to build the application and who was able to deliver the app within an aggressive timeline.
- Initially, the requirements called for the application to be built on the iPhone and iPad; however, J2 changed the requirements to include the Android and Blackberry platforms.
- Suggested the newspaper hire an in-house temp to maintain control of cost, requirements and deadlines.
The client needed to upgrade its news and advertising platforms. The newspaper purchased two software packages, a Content Management System (CMS) and an ad platform and needed to integrate the two.
- Creating requirements documents that synced the vendor’s capabilities with the needs of the newspaper.
- Manage two vendors with competing agendas and priorities.
- Manage client’s resources with competing priorities.
- Constant change in management.
- Ensuring vendors delivered software and features on time.
- Bring together the heads of various departments to get a consensus of the requirements.
- Eliminate scope creep.
- Implemented the software with consensus from multiple units of the business including: Finance, Advertising, News Desk, and IT.
From The Customer
“J2 has perfected the art of building long term relationships and has proven to be nimble, supportive, and flexible.”
A business intelligence and news company was implementing Peoplesoft 9.0 for their Human Capital Management Function (HCM). J2 was brought in to Project and Program the initiative which included not just HCM, but also Taleo Talent Management, the building of a HR self serve portal, outsourcing of its benefits and compensation management. All of these various systems had to be seamlessly integrated. J2 Solutions also worked with the various HR Departments to ensure adoption and assist in creating new HR procedures and operations to meet the goals of the organization.
- Needed to manage expectations with recommendations and best practices from third party HR specialist.
- Ensure business analytics synced to technology requirements.
- Adapt management style to fit various personalities within the project.
- Create requirements and get a consensus amongst various department agendas.
- Keep company leadership focused on project goals to avoid scope creep and competing initiatives.
- Managed competing 3rd party vendors.
- Brought various departments to a consensus and ensured the project complied with current and future needs of the organization.
- Implemented Peoplesoft 9.0 to comply with industry best practices while archiving vast amounts of data in case future access is required.
- Stress tested with large volumes of data to ensure the system is robust
- Integrated Poeplesoft with the finance department.
From The Customer
“Finding a project manager who understands the role of being a project manager is extremely uncommon. Most project managers overstep their boundaries, however the project manager from J2 was clearly in charge and knew exactly what his job description was.
The project manager in charge of the project was able to morph his personality when the situation required. He was able to play bad cop when needed and he was able to be delicate and sensitive when needed.
J2 was extremely proficient at managing a wide variety of personalities on the project.”